You have been working yourself to exhaustion for countless hours and it’s finally finished. After a lifetime of dreaming, you are finally holding it in your hands. Your book: the focus of all of your energies and a labor of love. You want the whole world to hear about it (and hopefully buy it), but you aren’t sure how to make that happen. If you have limited budget, one of the best and most cost-effective ways to let people know that your book exists is talk radio.
There are publicity firms who specialize in booking authors on talk radio, but what are the advantages of hiring them? Here are 5 reasons to hire a publicity firm to promote your book on talk radio:
- They Know How to Play the Publicity “Game.” Most authors know that they need media exposure, but have no idea where to start or who to call. Generating publicity can be difficult and even complex. You have to know the right shows, the right stations, the right producers, and the right time to call. Hiring a publicist takes out all of the guesswork.
- They Will Help You Develop Your Message. One of the most valuable things a publicity firm can do is help you develop the right message or angle to use to get the media’s attention. They will examine your book and message and will be able to pick out the angle that will maximize interest in you and your book.
- They Will Get Your Message to the Right People. While it’s true that you can call radio stations and attempt to book yourself, you may not get very far. Many hosts and producers won’t even consider a guest unless they are represented by a publicist, assuming they even take your call in the first place. A good publicity firm knows how to provide a show producer with everything they need to book you as a guest.
- They Have Established Relationships with the Media. Experienced publicists have cultivated strong relationships with talk radio hosts and producers. In some cases, these relationships last several years and help open up doors that might otherwise be closed. Often, a host will book a guest solely based on the recommendation of a trusted publicist.
- They Have the Experience to Guide You. Going out there and doing interviews without any tips or any guidance can be quite daunting. A good PR firm will be able to coach you on the fine point of “talk radio etiquette” and will be able to help you correct any missteps you might make.
By factoring in all of these advantages, a good PR firm will help alert the masses about your book.